Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Around Campus, part II

So, this really wasn't on campus; I was driving home from the library and I saw these two girls playing on the sidewalk, probably about 7 or 8 years old. They were so cute running down the street, racing or something. Then all of a sudden the smaller girl tripped and fell. The older one stopped, reached down to pull her friend up, and promptly proceeded to put her arm around her and they bothed walked down the street together. It sounds corny, but it was the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time.

I was walking behind a couple and happened to hear some of their conversation. I didn't hear what the girl said but the boy answered timidly, "Well, you know, the Underground Railroad wasn't really a railroad." The girl gasped in astonishment and said, "No way! No way! My childhoood is ruined, I can't believe it...So, what is it then?" She was so loud in her response that I couldn't help choking back a snort, and the boy looked around in embarassment to see if anyone had been listening. Luckily, I don't think he saw me. Underground Railroad...and to think that girl got accepted to BYU...

3 comments:

Loretta said...

My history mentor told us this story once about this essay exam he'd recently read where the student had elaborately explained how the Industrial Revolution had enabled the creation of this wonderfully advanced technological marvel, the Underground Railroad, that had freed the slaves. Sad, but that person you overheard is not the only one who got into college thinking that...

Allyson said...

That really is sweet about the two little girls.

Linda said...

Don't you love hearing about (or reading) stories/conversations like that? It makes me realize I'm not the only "dumbest smart person I know...":)

Cute, cute "little girls" story. Thanks for keeping us posted, Amy!

It was sure fun to be with you yesterday!