Naturally I had to start listening to Mussorgsky's song Hut on Fowl's Legs again because Baba Yaga is the antagonist in the book. For those of you who don't know, Baba Yaga is a witch from Russian and Slavic folklore that kidnapped and ate children. She lived in a hut without a door that walked around on chicken legs in the woods. I was reading up a bit on her character on wikipedia and I found this picture of a grain storehouse in Sweden. It is obvious where the tale comes from, isn't it? I thought this picture was really cool. What an odd sight.
(Warning: The book Enchantment is not for everyone. Unless you've read other Orson Scott Card books (Ender's Game not included) and like them a lot, please speak to me before you read this book)
4 comments:
Sounds like an interesting book. That picture is pretty cool!
The only Orson Scott Card book I've read is (from his "Women of Genesis" series) "Sarah." I LOVED it. So what do you think, huh? Huh? Is "Enchantment" for me? Huh? Yeah. I'm not really into fantasy that much... Although, hmmm. "Inkheart" is one of my favorites...
I LOVED Enchantment! But I'd have to agree, it's a bit different than the usual Card book... more of an adult book. I love that picture though- I didn't even read the title, I saw the picture first and I thought "hey! that reminds me of Baba Yaga!" hehe. I'm a bit slow.
i really liked that book, too...not for everyone, though! Have you read 'Wildwood Dancing'? Another 'different' take on fairy-tales...more appropriate for a broader audience... ;)
Post a Comment