Friday, May 29, 2009
New Book for June
Here I am needing help with another project. I have made a goal to read at least one fiction book and one non-fiction book each month (along with daily scripture study of course!) I am currently working on The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged) for May/June. However, I just finished my non-fiction choice of Aqui y Alla en Yucatan, a book about the Yucutan during the late 1800s. My dilemma is that I need a new non-fiction for the month of June. Any suggestions? Biographies, history, how-to's, etc, I enjoy it all. Thanks for the feedback!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
As previously discussed, I nominate "John Adams" by David McCullough. Can I get on the waiting list to read "Alli and Alla en Yucatan?" I just can't wait... :)
Hey now. Aqui y Alla was a good read:)
Oh yes. "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing is a GREAT non-fiction read too! I highly recommend it.
I've heard most things that David McCullough are pretty good, though I confess I haven't even read "1776" yet. If you are into (auto)biographies, an entertaining one is "Never Get Your Dog Stuffed" by Alan Alda. "Night" by Elie Wiesel is amazing too- simple but awesome... Can't forget "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor E. Frankle.
ooh and this is a weird suggestion, but it's a graphic novel (comic book style), but it's actually based off of conversations this guy had with his dad about the Holocaust: "Maus" by Art Spiegelman. There are two books there.
Looks like I am on a Holocaust kick...but for some reason those are ones that really touched me.
Thanks for the suggestions, Elisabeth! I knew I could count on you for some good ones. I've been wanting to read Alan Alda's biography for a long time and those other ones sound great. I'll put them all down on my list:)
I have two that are completely unrelated:
1 Scurvy by...um... that one guy. DANG IT! If I remember his name, I'll let you know. But I don't know if you ever read it, and I know you'd enjoy it.
2 The Secret of Scent by Luca Turin. It's basically one guy's theory about how the human sense of smell works (because we still don't actually know!) and sounds boring, but I found it really interesting. He's an uber-nerd, but his writing style is humorous enough to make the chemistry he necessarily goes into actually interesting.
Post a Comment