Monday, February 8, 2010

Iaido

Forget Saturday morning cartoons or sleeping in - Saturday mornings are martial arts mornings. I have been attending a Shotokan Karate class on and off since my freshman year and I absolutely love it. Every week I come home to nurse new bruises for the week then go back for some more. The other students there are so helpful and friendly and our instructor, Noji, is such an inspiration. (we like to refer to him as Mr. Miyagi).

Anyway, there is one student in the class that actually teaches another martial art in the same studio right after our karate class. He has been inviting me and Sam to come to his Iaido class for weeks now so this last Saturday I decided to stick around and see what it is all about. And this is what it is all about:


How cool is this? Iaido is Japanese sword fighting, what you would think of as samurai style. It is very fun and very challenging. My arms have been killing me all week so far. I'm very excited to get started with this (Maddie, you should come do it too...)

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Wow, that looks pretty cool!

Unknown said...

That rocks!!!

Linda said...

Hmmm...Looks a little dangerous from a mom's point of view...

Maddie Cat said...

LIKE KENSHIN??!!! I'M SO IN!!! WHEN DO WE START??!!