Friday, August 3, 2007

The Potter Years




I recently finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I finished it last week anyway, and it was such an amazing book that I've been thinking about it ever since. A lot of people think that the Harry Potter obsession is just that - an obsession. It's lasted too many long years and it causes people to run around the streets in robes, saying things like "wingardium leviosa!" and using words such as Muggle, Hogwarts, and crumple-horned snorkacks. However, in my perspective an era has been created that will always be special to me because I lived through it and was caught up in the magic.

What I'm trying to say is that with the seven book comes the close of a special decade - the Potter years. I was roughly Harry's age when the first book came out and I feel that as the characters matured and the books developed, so did I. I heard someone mention that they were glad that they waited to read the books until now so that she could read them one right after the other. However, I wouldn't have given up these years for anything! I loved the experiences of growing up with the characters, waiting in line anxiously for the next book, seeing Harry Potter books in the hands of the most unlikely people, buying all things Potter-related, and enjoying the magic created by J.K. Rowling for my generation and all the generations to come. Thanks J.K. Rowling for your creation, thanks to all you fellow Potter fans young and old, and to Harry, Ron, Hermione and all the fabulous and very believable characters of the books, thanks for a wonderful ride. Expecto Patronum!

4 comments:

Linda said...

It's really pathetic when a 50-year-old woman gets a lump in her throat over a post about fictional characters in a children's book series! Thanks, Amy, for your Harry Potter thoughts. I've been trying to formulate my own and think them out to write my own similar post as soon as I finish the book (half-way there!) I agree-I wouldn't have traded it for anything! Love, Mom

chorpler said...

Yeah, I'm hecka sad now that the books are done. No more Internet speculations on what's coming and who will die and whatnot! It slumps. Well, maybe J.K. Rowling will come up with another series that's filled with awesomeness.

Allyson said...

Life would be good if all we did was sit around and talk about Harry Potter....

Isn't mom done yet?????

Linda said...

Yay! Mom is finally done. 8/8/07 6:00pm!