Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holi Festival of Colors 2010

There is no need to travel to India to enjoy a taste of its culture. Right here in Spanish Fork we enjoyed celebrating the coming of Spring with the Holi Festival of Colors. I have not been for two years and it has grown in popularity and intensity since then. For those of you that have no idea what this is, let me explain. Imagine hundreds of young college students crowded together with little bags of brightly colored chalk powder all standing together in front of a pavilion with a live band and a burning statue of a demon . Then there is a count down and at zero the whole sky goes opaque with what looks like the colorful wreckage of gas bomb. It is lots of fun if you stay away from the mosh-pit crowd and it's a great opportunity for picture taking and getting a taste of another culture.

The Krishna temple of Spanish Fork. It's a beautiful area because the temple is up on a hill and the surrounding area is green farmland.

The usual white and pristine temple columns took a blow.

Our group in the infamous "before shot." Unfortunately, I didn't get a group "after shot."

I got sick of the crowd so I wandered around to take pictures. This was a little stand where they sold bags, scarves, and beautiful parasols.

I love the structure of the hindu temple.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I finally found this post. Looks like a beautiful place and a fun event!

Linda said...

PS-I forgot to ask. Where is the traditional "after" photo???